About Me

My photo
let's see...i am crazy. i am an obsessive fan of MUSE. i'm currently studying in a university. hmm.... i would just go on talking about my interests and stuff that i like, but you got the rest of this section for that so, that should be it (for now) about me!

Friday, April 3, 2009

chinese new year, the celebration of spring

Here's my finished calendar!!!!!


TADA!!!!

'Chinese new year, the celebration of spring' is my statement for this calendar. in my calendar, i used the template for May from the given calendar templates from my lecturers. the structure of the template is something in the middle wile it is surrounded by a pattern of objects.

since i stated that Chinese new year is the celebration of spring, i used only things of nature and are related symbols for Chinese new year. i used peach blossoms, the symbol of luck and the arrival of spring for the Chinese. while the peach is a symbol for longevity. the '' which means spring, in the middle is inverted since the Chinese word 倒 (pinyin: dao), or "upside down", sounds similar as 到 (pinyin: dào), or "arrive". Therefore, it symbolizes the arrival of luck.

i drew it like a chinese paper cutting since '' is commonly seen as paper cuttings decorating walls or windows around the house during Chinese new year. the chinese normally use red paper for the paper cuttings so i used red as the colour as well. red is also an auspicious colour for the chinese. for the flowers and the peach, i used yellow-orange as the colour to make them look like gold paper cuttings. since gold means wealth, and during Chinese new year, everyone commonly greet each other '恭喜发财' (kong xi fa cai) which literally means "Congratulations and be prosperous".

Chinese new year is celebrated on the month of February in 2010, so the month of my calendar is February. (Not january, as shown in my steps)


the template for my calendar

3 comments: